It provides an opportunity for the financially challenged arthritic person to improve the quality of life. Within the limited available funds, we subsidise cost of joint replacements for eligible persons. The aim of treatment in arthritis is to control the arthritis and prevent joint deterioration. However, occasionally, when the arthritis is severe or progressive or the patient presents for treatment late, the joint affected by the arthritis can be damaged irreparably. This will result in pain and loss of mobility. In selected cases, the damaged joint can be replaced by an artificial one by undergoing joint replacement surgery. This procedure can relieve pain, restore mobility and normalise joint function and make a tremendous impact in improving the quality of life of the person.
The cost of the implant for the surgery is generally above RM8,000. Many patients forego surgery and continue to deteriorate and suffer pain because they are unable to afford the implant. Arthritis Foundation, Malaysia (AFM) appreciates this area of need and has set up a fund to assist those who require a joint replacement but lack the means to purchase the prosthesis.
Here are the answers to the most frequently asked questions about the Fund:
What Will The Fund Cover ?
• The subsidy will usually cover up to 90% of the cost of the implant. The surgery will have to be performed at a government funded hospital.
• The Arthritis Fund will not usually pay any other costs pertaining to surgery, drugs or accommodation.
• No monies will be transferred to the patient. Payments will be made directly to the supplier of the implant.
Who Is Eligible ?
• The recipient (patient) must be a Malaysian citizen or permanent resident.
• The recipient's monthly income should not be more than RM3,500.
• Depending on the availability of funds, consideration may be given to applicants whose combined monthly family members' income is higher than RM3,500. However, the amount of the subsidy will be at the discretion of the Arthritis Fund Committee.
How Do I Apply For Assistance ?
• Check that you are eligible (as above).
• Please download the Application Form from www.afm.org.my under the section on "Arthritis Fund" or ask your doctor for a copy.
Who Will Be Required To Fill The Form?
• You will require two attending specialist doctors to help validate your need for joint replacement.
• If you suffer from an Inflammatory Arthritis such as Rheumatoid Arthritis, Ankylosing Spondylitis or Psoriatic Arthritis, you will require the help of a Rheumatologist and an Orthopaedic Surgeon (who will perform the operation).
• If you suffer from Osteoarthritis you may have the two specialists as described above or two Orthopaedic Surgeons (one of whom will perform the operation).
• You will need to fill in your social and family details.
• A social worker at a government hospital will need to verify your social history.
What Documents are to be Submitted?
• Identification documents
• Details of last drawn salary
Who Will Approve My Application ?
• The Arthritis Fund Committee consist of seven members nominated by AFM. They will meet quarterly to review all applications. Approval will be based on eligibility, need and availability of funds at any time. The decision of the Committee is final.
How Long Will The Approval Process Take?
• You should hear from AFM within 2 months if the application is complete.
How Does the Arthritis Fund Raise Money?
• The Fund is dependent on donations from the public and money raised through the AFM.
•The AFM appeals to all persons and corporate bodies to donate into the "Arthritis Fund".
How do I make a donation to the Arthritis Fund?
Please make your Cheque payable to "Arthritis Foundation Malaysia" and send it to:
Arthritis Foundation Malaysia
Letter Box No. 60
Lower Ground Floor
Sunway Medical Centre
No. 5, Jalan Lagoon Selatan
46150 Petaling Jaya
Selangor Darul Ehsan
AFM will issue an official receipt. Your donation will be tax exempt.
The application form is available here in both Word and Pdf formats.